Sunday, January 25, 2009

Potty Washing, January 25, 2009

For any father handling a kid, potty training is mandatory. So it has been between me and Khyati.

Like terrorists, stock markets, road rage, the potty can strike anytime anywhere ---market, mall, pool, school, stadium, birthday party…So one needs to be prepared about the process and also impress upon the kid that he/she should not hold it too long as it is not good for health.

Khyati, however, is generally a magnanimous kid and has perhaps understood my reluctance, laziness or lack of natural ability to take on most assignments that are handled by her mother or other mothers of her friends in similar circumstances.

So she spares me the changing clothes routine at the swimming pool, eats on her own when we are together and we have long periods of silence in the car or at home when she senses that I am not in the mood to talk (because of work or whatever), which is not the case with her mom or grand mom.

However, in the case of potty she has been pretty steadfast in holding her ground.

She insists that I do the washing, anywhere.

Perhaps it is some kind of control she likes to exercise. In my opinion most women (perhaps even little girls) like to have their way in some matters with the men that matter in their life.

For me, for now, it is potty washing that I have to abide. So, the one question I ask before heading out: ``is potty coming?’’

It comes when it has to...

No comments: