Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tennis Match, January 20

As I have said earlier Khyati has been playing tennis for a few months now.

Mostly, it is a fun hour for her during which the coach has to repeatedly remind her not to chat with fellow kids. But, she enjoys and is beginning to hit the ball across, so I am happy.

Last month she played in her first intra-club match and lost, which I expected. She was a little disappointed and I told her that there is always the next time when she should try harder. This month, the matches are being played and I took her again.

I expected her to lose, but is seems that she had put a bit of thought into her game. She was placing the ball intelligently and was looking to win the points. The match was getting competitive.

I had taken Aravind Adiga's White Tiger and did not read a page as I cannot recall a more involving tennis match ever.

Let me tell you it is quite a different feeling to watch your kid fight it out in a game. You want her to win, period.

For a minute I understood the predicament of Father Williams when he speaks about all the nervous energy when his kids play.

It is tough. It was like meeting a stiff deadline, perhaps worse. This is not going to be easy. Tomorrow is the second round and she is all keyed up. So am I. Perhaps, more.

No comments: