Friday, March 13, 2009

Phone Calling, March 13, 2009

Mother, girlfriends, wife and now daughter...

In hindsight, it was the easiest to handle calls from my mom as she simply believed all I said (or so I used to think) and never asked too many questions.

This made it difficult to lie though I often did.

After all, how could I tell her that I was too drunk to come home and had to spend the night at a friend’s.

A better way to escape the situation was to speak about joint night study.

Girlfriends, of course, one had to lie, especially when routines involving other girlfriends were concerned.

Over time, one has to handle the situation with the wife as well. For example a visit to the pub could be a client meeting or extra time at golf business development.

However, with Khyati things can be very tricky. What I do today will definitely be an example followed and practiced by her when she grows up.

For example, I have a problem about sticking to time…I lose track of it, especially when fun and frolic is involved.

Off late, Khyati calls to find out what time I am going to be home as there are some general knowledge games she has learnt that requires a quorum of people over the dining table.

``Sid,’’ she says over the phone, sounding sometimes like my wife. ``Just be home for dinner today, okay.’’

Thoughts cross my mind that a few years from now it is definitely going to be me who will be calling her to find out what time she is going to be back, given hectic social routines of teenagers.

There is immense pressure on me now to do as I say. Parenting is a tough job. It teaches you to stick to time, for one.

The other day I told her while driving that I was going for a movie for grown ups with some colleagues.

``Stop the car, turn it around and come home right now as I want you to be home for dinner,’’ she said.

I m struggling.

1 comment:

Emaan said...

hi sid
nice post, n a very cute blog ! Im sure khyati wud love 2 hav such a cool / caring dad around. Kp it goin !